Thursday, June 25, 2015

One of Those Nights


Sometimes I have one of those nights... the kind of night I am really looking forward to relaxing with my coffee, and my new book to wind down from another Summer day.

And then....
well...
it turns into one of "those" nights,
the kind where I feel I will never get a moment...just a moment...as my once upon a time fresh cup of cold coffee sits next to my book, on a freshly dusted night stand.
I really didn't think this night called for iced coffee - lol.  That's just my dry sense of humor.

It all started with the words "It's time for bed" coming from this Mommy's mouth.
You may know how sometimes those words, okay well most of the time those words can be translated by children as if it were to mean "It's time to wake up", "It's time to play", "It's time to argue", oh and this nights original statement  "can I have a pork chop? , and then I promise I'll go to bed".  A pork chop? Seriously?

Could there possibly be anything else that is going to keep me from that "just one moment"?
I am now literally pleading God for it.

It is then, my son; who's birthday is the next day, comes into my room just as I'm finding my peaceful moment to say he has a growing pain.  At this point I'm really just wondering why tonight???

So as us Moms try our hardest to do, I place my frustrations aside, not wanting to get worked up anymore than I already felt before bed. I head to the medicine cabinet to retrieve the Tylenol, only to find the measuring cup for it is downstairs.

I take like my millionth deep breath of the night and head downstairs to get it.  I administer the liquid Tylenol to my almost 11 year old son who at that moment seemed to have had a whole in his lip-
yup it went right past his mouth and he was covered in sticky red medicine, and so was my carpet.

I cried out loud  "O Lord, what is it you are trying to tell me tonight"???
My son cried and said he was so sorry, I felt horrible for him because I know he certainly didn't do it on purpose, if anything he can relate to me with things going wrong at this point.  As we clean up and give him medicine all over again I console him.  I tell him it's okay, it just seems like I can't get a break tonight, but I know God is trying to show me something through it all.
I tuck him back into bed, and head downstairs to get - yet another cup of coffee to attempt to start again.

It's at this moment, God whispers in my ear about becoming a Proverbs 31 Woman, and I remember that a Proverbs 31 woman is known for rising earlier than her family, and he showed me I've sure been sleeping in a lot lately.

He reminds me Heather... you can have your moment, I know how much you need it,
but I also see how much your kids need you.
He gently gives me advice, that I may need to rearrange my schedule a bit, to make room for  the quiet moments He knows I desire, and the loving Mother He knows my children desire.
So I'll take it!!!

The chaos and all from this night- because it's in these really important moments that are worth so much more!



                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment