Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I Didn't Know How to Answer Him...

I didn't know how to answer him, but God knew I wanted to know, 
and He placed within our conversation the perfect example to my sons' very question.

"Mom if God says we should put Him above everything then that's just rude of Him to say,
it's as if He's saying He's better than us or something!"

My quick answer was "Well yes, He is better than us! He created us! He is the reason why we are here!"

That answer clearly did not make him think any different, he was still trying to figure it out, and he looked pretty upset.  
This conversation happened just before reading together, the February 19th devotional, given to my boys by my Mother.  

In it spoke of sin and the dangers of it.  How sin leads to evil desires, and doing what we know is wrong leads to consequences. 

James 1:13-15 "When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away, and enticed.  Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." 

I watched as my sons' light bulb went off as he said...

"Like what happened to Christopher Dorner!"

If your from Southern California, then you know this mans name very well.  He was fired from the L.A.P.D years ago, and according to him wrongfully accused of lying .  He decided to kill anyone he felt was responsible, and their family members as well.  All in an effort to somehow clear his name.  The ending was sad he took his own life in a cabin before it burnt down, days after wounding 2 officers, killing 2 officers and an engaged young couple.

It was very very sad seeing someone so lost with absolutely zero hope.  Someone who went through life chasing empty dreams, his own desires, and filled his life with everything but God.  His sin led to the destruction of his own life, and the hurting of many innocent people.

In that very moment my light bulb went off, and God was giving me the answer to my sons legitimate question.
I proceeded to ask my inquisitive 8 year old a question that I knew would set it straight for both him and I.

I said...

"Jimmy, you are absolutely right! 
Sin causes evil desires just like it did for Christopher Dorner.  
Now Jimmy, 
let me ask you something...
why do you think this man needed God in his life?"

He answered-
"So he wouldn't have done what he did, so he wouldn't have been so angry."

God showed me at that very moment, and I spoke those words to my son...

"You are exactly right, 
so that is why we are told in Gods word not to place anything above Him,
because when He is out of the picture we can't possibly love others the way He does... 
or get through the hardships in life.
That my son is what God is- 
He IS Love
and He is the only one who can teach us to love.  
Placing anything above Him causes us to forget about Him, 
and lose sight of His plan for us.  
And He Loves us so much He doesn't want His children to miss any of it!" 

And as for my son, 
in that moment, 
he truly understood.  

So please don't be afraid when your children challenge Gods word, just pray through it, and God will always provide you with an answer, at just the right time.
I stand amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment