Friday, December 28, 2012

"Well that's Because they are the Daughters of the President of the United States"!

Many of you have heard of the social network called "Instagram"; well it didn't use to be a social network.  At one point it was just a camera app to place on your smart phone to take really cool pictures; with all kinds of neat filters.  So you can imagine my upset as a parent when it quietly became a complete social network for kids and teens. Scary!
My daughter and a couple of her friends had secret instagrams; where they shared pictures- gossiped about people- and knew entirely too much about people they hardly know in real life.  Pictures were loaded with poses of attitude, some posing trying to look older than they were, and most having followers that were old men- this absolutely disgusted me!  My daughter doesn't even have a smartphone; but she was using her friends phones to check up on an account she created using a friends email address.

Many kids have an instagram; many parents don't even know; whats disturbing to me is that a lot of parents "do" know and find it to be okay.  
I am not the parent of anyone elses child; so what I write here are my own thoughts based on what I have researched.

We hear as parents that the stricter we are; the sneakier our children will become.  
To me this does not mean my children should be part of things that expose them to sinful actions, words, or inappropriate photos just because if I don't let them they will sneak it anyway.

As you may or may not have heard; Michelle Obama once stated that her girls were not allowed to have a facebook. 
As a side note you need to know that Instagram was bought by facebook, it is now no different; it's actually worse 
She doesn't see the point in it; when most of the people they would be talking to are people they see in school everyday; or get together with often.  
Michelle Obama is all about the good old fashioned way of communicating with others, and thinks its very important her girls know those skills.  
I am right with her on this one.  
In fact when I mentioned this to my nearly 13 year old daughter her response was- "Well of course they can't have a facebook, they are the Presidents' daughters!"

This got me pondering her comment.  

My daughter is the daughter of someone much more important than the President of the United States; 
she is the daughter of a Mighty King who loves her very much; and so is your daughter or son.  


If the decision for your child to be on facebook or instagram, twitter etc. was based on biblical values (which it should be) you would find the following scriptures as instruction to us as parents of His beautiful creation to make an informed decision based on His word.

Ephesians 5:3-4
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for Gods holy people.  Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk, or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

2 Corinthians 7:1
Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

Revelation 22:7
Behold, I am coming soon!  Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book."
  

Yes this is the real world; and it is unfortunate that our precious children feel the need to step out of Gods word and join it to fit in.  It's as if people think children and teens need to be exposed to nudity, sexual inuendos, and profanity to prepare them for it.  
It doesn't make sense to me; 
I, as an adult, have made decisions on my own; to not expose myself to the things of this world just because that's the way it is.  We no longer need to conform; 
God warned us of the patterns of this world; and urges us to stand out amongst all the sin and proclaim His love for all the world to see. 

Romans 12:2
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what Gods will is- His good, pleasing, and perfect will". 

When my daughter and sons are grown adults; they may decide to join these networks; and they may- like me, decide for themselves like I did that it's an empty form of communication. Or they may use these social networks as a means to stand out; and use them responsibly like so many do
As for right now- 
when teens are so prone to temptation, 
and a desperate want for attention, I as a parent am not going to be the one who makes the choice to expose them to things they shouldn't.  
It is not necessary to expose ourselves to the things outside of Gods will for us to grow up; 
true growing up is found in His word; 
that's what prepares our children for the things they will be exposed to in this world of ours. 
His word is what prepares our children to know how to react when they are faced with vulgar situations.  
Bottom line is they need Gods word to prepare them for this world; not being purposely exposed repeatedly to poor language, un- biblical quotes, sexual sin, gossip, hatred and violence. 
Even as an adult; God shelters me- 
it's not a bad thing- 
He gives me a check in my spirit called discernment; which has shown me what not to expose myself, or my children to.  

Yes they may go astray; like I have done; but I will know I have instilled in them what is important in life, and why.  
And I thank my precious Savior for His precious hand is placed on the lives of my children
I strive to lead them; 
where He so patiently leads me.
Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment