Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 29} Don't Forget to Look for the Moments

"We will talk about it tomorrow"! I said hastily after my 12 year old daughter seemed to be stalling her bedtime. 
 I spent my time talking, laughing, and saying my good nights- hugs - the whole 9 yards!- And then a subject came up about the next days last minute planning, that just made me a little frustrated.
Frustrated because I didn't know if I would be able to get her to her schools carnival earlier as requested; due to the cookie party we have already committed to in our neighborhood. 
My girl is smart 
she hit the nail on the head when she said
"Mom you look tense; relax your shoulders, your shoulders look really stiff--- here--- do you need a shoulder rub"?
Out of the quickness in the moment I said "No- what you need to do is get in bed; then I can actually get in bed, we have a lot to try to figure out- We will talk about it tomorrow!"
I walked away feeling like I just erased all the special time we had before this last minute change to our schedule occured.  

I took a deep breath;
only no deep breath was enough to calm my nerves,
and my sweet daughter noticed that.

Still feeling tense I washed my face and thought about what had actually just happened.
One of my fears has been that my children's' world would revolve around themselves; and not ever take a minute to see the other side.  
So many people are so selfish these days, that they don't even take a minute to notice what they say; 
or be ready to forgive when someone answers them harshly- 
to see beyond the "quick to speak" spewed words- 
and into the heart of why they came out that way.
I've always thought; how in the world do I teach my children this?   

This is when I see God answer my prayers; when He intervenes through my children- 
as a Mother;
those are by far the most beautiful and treasured moments.

I wrung out my washcloth took a deep breath; this time breathing in the breath of Christ; and feeling ever so grateful for the heart my daughter displayed for me.  
She happened to have got out of her bed to brush her hair, I walked into her bathroom, looked her in the eye, and said "Thank you" she smiled a smile so kind.

I said "I just want you to know that what you did when you saw me feeling tense; was one of the sweetest things a person could ever do; and I am sorry that I wasn't ready to respond to that like I should have.  I really appreciate your thoughtfulness, Thank you so much sweetie". 
She looked at me and said "Here"
as she placed her arms on my shoulder; and took that tension right out.

Sometimes we as Mothers get so caught up in the busyness of our day; 
or the day to come 
that we forget to look for the moments we fear, and pray about, to see just exactly what God is doing in our children's lives.

So starting tonight; lets make ourselves more aware of God in the midst of it all.
Instead of being so afraid of where our children could be headed,
watch closely...
and focus on where God has already brought them. 


Matthew 6: 34
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of it's own"
*****************************************************
To view the rest of this series; 31 Days to Fear Free Mothering
Click Below: 
I am so happy you stopped by!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment